8 ¼ x 13 ¼ Partly-printed 1767 family deed signed by three Revolutionary War Soldiers, Prescott family members, including Wm Prescott, granting the estate shared with his brother James to their younger brother Oliver. Also signed by James Prescott, and with a holograph endorsement signed by Ebenezer Bridge. “That we...In consideration of Four Hundred Pounds Lawful Money, paid us...do hereby give...all the Houses Buildings & Land which belonged to our Hon’d Father Benj’n Prescott Esq’r... late of Groton...” The deed was recorded December 4, 1777.
WILLIAM PRESCOTT (1726 – 1795) was a farmer who led minutemen as colonel in 1775 and participated in the Battle of Bunker Hill on June 17. He is said to have ordered his troops to hold fire “until you see the whites of their eyes.
OLIVER PRESCOTT (1731 – 1804) was a physician who served as Brigadier General for Middlesex County in 1776 and Major General for the Massachusetts Militia in 1781.
JAMES PRESCOTT (1721 – 1800) was a judge who served in the court of common pleas and later became a member of the provincial congress. He also served briefly as a colonel of the Middlesex regiment in 1775.
EBENEZER BRIDGE (1744 – 1814) was a Massachusetts Senator, 1781 – 1800, and Middlesex Treasurer, 1783 – 1808. During the Revolutionary War, Bridge was not only selected to be Registrar of Deeds, he also led minutemen for the county as colonel in 1775 and fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Fold separations repaired with minor loss to text, faint toning at edges, light expected soiling, minor paper loss to side edges. Docketing on verso.
Everything we sell is guaranteed authentic forever to the original buyer. We also offer a 30-day return policy. If you discover a problem or are dissatisfied with an item, please contact us immediately. Our goal is to please every customer. We are pleased to be members of The Manuscript Society, Universal Autograph Collectors Club, The Ephemera Society, the Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers and the Preferred Autograph Dealers and Auction Houses. [WH RW 114]